CPA 2020 Virtual Series:
Frequently Asked Questions and Instructions for Presenters
The impacts of COVID-19 are wide-reaching, impacting all aspects of life as we know it. In light of COVID-19, the CPA made the decision to transition its annual 2020 in-person convention to a virtual series offered over the months of July and August.
The CPA is committed to knowledge exchange and community for all its members and affiliates. To that end, the virtual series will feature hundreds of submissions from individuals accepted to present at the CPA’s in-person convention. It will also feature a specialized stream devoted to COVID-19 and pandemics.
After going through this information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may still have regarding the virtual series and/or your participation in it.
HOW WILL IT WORK?
Anyone who was accepted to deliver a presentation, of any type, at the CPA’s 2020 National Convention is welcome to participate in the virtual event to showcase their work. All individuals with an accepted presentation were asked to indicate if they would or would not be participating in the virtual series by the end of May.
WHEN WILL THE VIRTUAL EVENT TAKE PLACE?
The virtual series will begin on July 6th and continue through to the end of August. Exact dates for any live chats associated with spoken presentations are still being confirmed, but the recordings and digitized formats of the sessions will be available over the months of July and August.
WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE FOR THE VIRTUAL SERIES?
Please visit the convention’s website for the virtual series schedule. Each week in July, new content will be released. All content will be available through to the end of August.
The online schedule also indicates which section programming will be released each week. As timing for specific events is confirmed, the schedule will be updated accordingly.
IS PARTICIPATION IN THE VIRTUAL EVENT MANDATORY?
Participation in the virtual event is optional. However, please note the following:
- Individuals OPTING TO PARTICIPATE in the virtual event may not submit to present the identical work again for the CPA’s 2021 convention (scheduled to take place in Ottawa from Friday June 4th to Sunday June 6th).
- Individuals OPTING NOT TO PARTICIPATE in the virtual event may choose instead to have their work considered for presentation in the CPA’s 2021 Scientific Program; please note that acceptance for CPA2020 does not guarantee acceptance for CPA2021. Individuals choosing this option need not re-submit their work.
CAN I CITE THIS YEAR’S ACCEPTANCE FOR THE IN-PERSON CONVENTION ON MY CV?
Yes, you can cite this year’s acceptance on your CV, regardless of whether you DO or DO NOT participate in the virtual event. Please see below for formatting instructions.
If you OPT TO PARTICIPATE in the virtual event, please use the following format:
Surname, Initial. & Surname, Initial. (2020, insert dates of virtual event). Title of accepted submission. [specify type of presentation – poster, Gimme-5, 12-minute talk, etc.]. 81st Canadian Psychological Association Annual National Convention, Montréal, Quebec, Canada. (insert link to virtual event when available)
If you OPT NOT TO PARTICIPATE in the virtual event, please use the following format:
Surname, Initial. & Surname, Initial. (2020, May 27-30). Title of accepted submission. [specify type of presentation – poster, Gimme-5, 12-minute talk, etc.]. 81st Canadian Psychological Association Annual National Convention, Montréal, Quebec, Canada. (insert link to Abstract Book PDF when available – see note below) (Conference cancelled due to COVID-19)
The CPA is currently putting together an abstract book of all accepted submissions. When the abstract book is finalized, the link to the PDF will be communicated so that the link can be included in the citation; in the interim, the citation can be used without the abstract book link.
CAN I CHANGE MY PRESENTATION TYPE FOR THE VIRTUAL SERIES?
No. Individuals must present their material in the format in which it was accepted; changes to presentation type will not be permitted.
WHAT IS THE DEADLINE FOR UPLOADING MATERIALS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE VIRTUAL SERIES?
All presentation materials must be submitted to the CPA by June 19th.
WHAT TYPES OF PRESENTATIONS WILL THE VIRTUAL SERIES FEATURE?
The virtual series will feature all presentation types as accepted for inclusion in the in-person convention. This includes posters, Gimme 5s, 12-minute talk, 25-minute conversation session/discussion forum, 25-minute review session, 55-minute symposium, Section Chair addresses, and Award presentations.
WILL WORKSHOPS BE INCLUDED IN THE VIRTUAL OFFERING?
All individuals accepted to deliver a half/full-day pre-convention professional development workshop or 90-minute in-convention professional development workshop will be contacted by CPA Staff to ascertain interest in transitioning their workshop to a virtual event offered as part of the CPA’s online professional development platform.
Individuals choosing not to transition their workshop to a virtual event, may choose to have their submission considered for inclusion in the CPA’s 2021 scientific program.
HOW DO I PREPARE MY PRINTED POSTER?
These files can only be presented in Powerpoint. There is no voice narration or video presentation associated with this type of submission.
Printed Posters can only be submitted as a PDF or as a PDF slide deck.
Poster slide decks should have no more than 6 slides (e.g., title/author/contact information, abstract, rationale, method, results, conclusion/discussion).
From an engagement perspective, we are currently investigating an opportunity for a group chat where the poster presenters are available for live engagement; alternatively, we may ask poster presenters to monitor their poster once a week and answer any questions that are posed about their poster. We will follow up with poster presenters once this has been confirmed.
HOW DO I PREPARE MY GIMME 5?
Gimme 5s must be pre-recorded as a 5-minute voice-over audio (and/or audio and video) recording of 3 Powerpoint slides or as a Zoom recording with a screen share of 3 Powerpoint slides. You are able to submit an audio only (without video) powerpoint presentation or Zoom recording if that is your preference.
Submissions containing more than 3 slides (not including a title slide) or longer than 5-minutes will not be accepted.
See below for detailed instructions on how to prepare a voice-over Powerpoint or Zoom recording
All files must be exported to .MP4 format
HOW DO I PREPARE A SPOKEN PRESENTATION (EXCLUDING GIMME 5S)?
All spoken presentations (i.e., 12-minute talk, 25-minute conversation session/discussion forum, 25-minute review session, 55-minute symposium, 55-minute award/chair addresses) must be pre-recorded as a voice-over audio (and/or audio and video) recording of Powerpoint slides or as a Zoom recording for multiple presenters and/or moderators with a screen share of Powerpoint slides and/or videos (and any other multimedia). You are able to submit an audio only (without video) powerpoint presentation or Zoom recording if that is your preference.
Consider using one of the two official CPA’s Virtual Series backgrounds for your presentation
If your presentation has multiple people, it is preferred that ALL presentations, including the moderator, are included in one file. This can easily be accomplished with a pre-recorded Zoom session. If this cannot be accomplished, please contact us at email@example.com to discuss alternatives.
Your pre-recording must not exceed the allotted time of your accepted abstract.
Convention staff will follow up with presenters to discuss their availability to participate in a live chat on a date to be determined and/or to monitor posted questions by viewers.
For accepted symposia, at least two of the presenters of the accepted symposium must agree to participate in the virtual event.
See below for detailed instructions on how to prepare a voice-over Powerpoint or Zoom recording.
All files must be exported to .MP4 format.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PREPARE A VOICE-OVER POWERPOINT
Voice-over Powerpoint – please be sure to save the complete file as a video / MP4 file.
Here are some detailed instructions on how to create voice-overs and associated video using Powerpoint: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/record-a-slide-show-with-narration-and-slide-timings-0b9502c6-5f6c-40ae-b1e7-e47d8741161c?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us#OfficeVersion=Office_365
Here are some detailed instructions on how to export your presentation and save it as an MP4 file. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-your-presentation-into-a-video-c140551f-cb37-4818-b5d4-3e30815c3e83
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PREPARE A PRE-RECORDED ZOOM SESSION
Zoom – you can use Zoom to prepare recordings that will allow you to share your Powerpoint on the screen, narrate the slides, and show your face using your webcam. You can choose ‘Cloud Storage’ as the way to save your recording or if you do not have a paid Zoom account, you can record directly to your computer.
Here are some detailed instructions on how to create your presentation using Zoom with Cloud Storage: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/203741855-Cloud-recording
PLEASE NOTE – if you do not have access to a Zoom account – you can create one for free here https://zoom.us/ which allows meetings up 100 people for 40 minutes. If you submit a session longer than 40 minutes and do not have access to a paid Zoom account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will schedule a time for you to pre-record your session using a paid account.If you require technical assistance in order to pre-record your session, please contact Chantel Beaupre email@example.com who will schedule a 15 minute meeting to assist you.
INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PREPARE A POWER POINT PRESENTATION
- Use of a specific powerpoint background/template is not required.
- All PowerPoint presentations must use a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- To ensure your ratio setting is correct, go to the “Design” tab in PowerPoint, click “Slide Size” and choose “Widescreen (16:9).”
- Presentation slides submitted in any other format will not be accepted.
- To ensure your ratio setting is correct, go to the “Design” tab in PowerPoint, click “Slide Size” and choose “Widescreen (16:9).”
- Do not change the layout of the slides.
- The template font sizes have been set to ensure optimal readability by the audience. If you must change font sizes in the template, please use a minimum 16-point.
- Keep all graphics simple.
- The first slide is to be used for your submission ID#, presentation title, your name, title and affiliation.
DO YOU HAVE TIPS FOR PREPARING MY PRESENTATION?
- For Gimme 5s and spoken presentations, prepare it in the same manner as you will deliver it, bearing in mind the time-limit for your accepted presentation type.
- Time your presentation and know how much time you will spend on key slides.
- The location in which record your presentation should be free from distractions and any other sources of interference. Keep doors closed or locked and consider putting up a sign telling others that you are presenting/recording and should not be disturbed.
- For the best results, use a high-quality external webcam rather than your device’s built-in webcam.
- Make sure to position your webcam at eye level for a good quality camera angle. If you are using a laptop’s built-in camera, consider using a laptop stand or other objects to elevate the webcam to a useable and professional looking height. A low angled camera position will not provide the best version of you to your audience.
- Present from a brightly lit room as adequate lighting is needed for your camera. Avoid putting outdoor-facing windows and other bright light sources directly behind you.
- Plain backgrounds to sit/stand in front of, such as a wall painted a solid color or non-patterned drapery, are recommended to avoid distracting viewers and causing visual artifacts with your camera. Consider using one of the two official CPA’s Virtual Series backgrounds for your presentation
- For the best sound quality, use an external microphone and headphones when possible. Consider using a Bluetooth headset or check your webcam as it may come with a quality microphone and noise/echo cancelling built in.
- We highly recommend setting up a time for a test call with one of our CPA Convention Staff. They will help walk you through the finer details of your presentation and assist you in getting the best quality out of your presentation/recording setup.
IS THERE A SPECIFIC WAY TO NAME MY PRESENTATION FILE?
Yes, the filename should be comprised of the following elements in the following format, with hyphens between the elements:
There should be no spaces, accented characters, or special characters in the file name.
SubmissionID: The unique Submission # assigned to the presentation when the abstract was submitted
SubmissionCODE: The Type of Submission, using the codes in all caps in the table below
LastName: The Last Name of the First Presenter (or Moderator if a Symposium)
TitlePart: The first three words of the title of the presentation, with no spaces between the words.
|Submission Code:||Submission Type|
For example, a 12-Minute Talk video file submission might look like:
In the case of a paper within a symposium, if provided outside of an overall symposium video, the format should be:
In this case, the Symposium presentation would look like:
The individually submitted papers for the symposium would look like:
I CAN NO LONGER PARTICIPATE IN THE VIRTUAL SERIES. WHAT DO I DO?
If you are no longer able to participate in the virtual event or unable to participate in a scheduled Live Chat, Discussion or Q&A Session, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
IS THERE A REGISTRATION FEE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE VIRTUAL SERIES?
The CPA recognizes the unprecedented restrictions and impacts facing professional associations, particularly as pertains to organizing/hosting conventions. It also recognizes the unprecedented challenges facing members of our profession , students, faculty, researchers, and/or practitioners – to name just a few – as pertains to financial impacts, job security, academic interruptions, practice disruption, , tele-work, impacts on school, children and families , travel restrictions, and the impacts of social isolation and physical distancing requirements.
The CPA values its members and affiliates and out of recognition of these unprecedented times, and challenges facing our members/affiliates this year –
- registration for, and presentation in, the CPA’s 2020 virtual event will be complimentary for current CPA members and affiliates whose membership is in good standing
- there will be a nominal registration fee for non-members ($75.00) and student non-affiliates ($15.00) who wish to present and/or participate in the virtual event
DO I HAVE TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE VIRTUAL SERIES?
Yes, all individuals participating in the CPA’s virtual series (presenters and non-presenters, paying and complimentary) are required to register (https://convention.cpa.ca/registration/.
WHEN WILL REGISTRATION FOR THE VIRTUAL SERIES OPEN?
Registration for the virtual series will open in mid-June (https://convention.cpa.ca/registration/) and will stay open through to the end of the series.
CAN I PROMOTE MY SESSION VIA SOCIAL MEDIA OR TO THE MEDIA?
As a presenter during the CPA’s 2020 Virtual Series, you have a great opportunity to generate media coverage for your organization and increase attendance for your presentation by utilizing effective media relations.
Consider issuing a media advisory announcing your selection to present at the conference. An advisory summarizes your topic and could include quotes from your presentation, a link to your organization’s/institution’s website, and information about you and your organization/institution.
Another option is to turn your presentation into a bylined article. Many technology publications routinely print articles that detail “real-life” experiences or offer helpful tips to others in the field.
Any of these options can be used in a social media campaign, particularly Twitter and LinkedIn. Tweet about the details from your presentation or provide links to any relevant articles that might generate from the press advisory and/or bylined article. Consider joining relevant LinkedIn groups and share these updates with like-minded individuals. You can engage with CPA and its members through s6. The Presidential Officers review copies of the documentation considered in making the decision under appeal, including copies of the decision and rationale, and any documentation submitted by the Appellant with the Appeal.
- More than 10,000 members in CPA’s LinkedIn Group (https://www.linkedin.com/company/canadian-psychological-association/)
- CPA on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CPA.SCP/). More than 9,000 followers
- Hashtag #CPA2020 on Twitter (@CPA_SCP). More than 5,000 followers.
NOTE: that only registered attendees will be able to view the presentation through the EventMobi Virtual Conference interface, but that the individual video or pdf files can be directly linked to. The links will appear in the Session description.
WILL THE VIRTUAL SERIES INCLUDE A TRADESHOW TO CONNECT WITH KEY EXHIBITORS AND SPONSORS?
Yes, the virtual series will feature exhibitors and sponsors via a virtual tradeshow. You will have the opportunity to set up times to virtually “meet” with exhibitors and learn about their companies.
HOW DO I UPLOAD MY PRESENTATION?
Click here for the Upload Instructions for Presenters.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.